There were 57 new COVID deaths reported in today's Ontario update, all of which occurred within the last month, a number that is down from Friday's Public Health Ontario report.
Public Health Ontario is also reporting that one death was removed from the cumulative total based on data cleaning.
There are 579 COVID-positive patients in Ontario intensive care units, according to the latest provincial update.
In total, there are 604 patients in ICU due to COVID-related illness, but 25 are no longer testing positive for COVID.
Of the 604 in ICU, 375 are on a ventilator due to COVID-related illness, though nine individuals are no longer testing positive for COVID.
On Jan. 23, Public Health Ontario is reporting 5,833 new COVID cases, however, new case counts no longer reflect COVID-19 transmission in the province as testing is reserved nearly exclusively for hospitalized patients, and residents and staff at high-risk congregate settings.
Public Health Ontario has confirmed 996,665 cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, and reported 918,023 recoveries and 10,968 deaths.
The Jan. 23 updates provided by the province's public health agency and the ministry of health also reported the following data (editor note: because of incomplete weekend reporting from hospitals, details on the breakdown of COVID-19 positive hospital admissions as well as vaccination status of those in hospital are not updated):
- 9,490 recoveries and 57 deaths since yesterday's report. The deaths reported have all occurred within the last month.
- There are 67,674 active, lab-confirmed cases in Ontario.
- The new cases reported today include 835 unvaccinated people, 223 partially vaccinated people, and 4,175 fully vaccinated people. 600 cases were reported with vaccination status unknown.
- Lab-confirmed testing is mostly limited to those who live in high-risk congregate care settings or work in them. As such a majority of the people being tested are fully vaccinated as per provincial or workplace mandatory vaccine policies.
- 3,797 people are in hospital testing positive for COVID-19.
- There are 604 patients in Ontario ICUs with COVID.
- 579 individuals are testing positive for COVID and 23 no longer are testing positive
- There are 375 COVID patients on ventilators.
- 366 individuals are testing positive for COVID while nine others are no longer testing positive
- The province reported 32,247 tests were processed yesterday, resulting in an 18.2 per cent positivity. Another 7,533 tests are still being processed.
As of today's report, 11.6 million people in Ontario (79 per cent of the population) are fully vaccinated, and six per cent of the province has one dose of COVID vaccine. There are 5.95 million people in Ontario with three doses of vaccine.
For more on the province's breakdown of vaccination status, click here.