Skip to content
12.3 °Cforecast >
Clear
Jobs | Contact | Tip line: 705-673-0123

Some stories to start your day

Here's what's happening around Greater Sudbury today
0
121017_joly
The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Heritage Canada, Sudbury MP Paul Lefebvre and Nickel Belt MP Marc Serré, as well as Place des Arts will be hosting a conference for a major announcement on Friday, Oct. 13.

Good morning, Greater Sudbury. 

Here are some stories to start your day.

Heritage Minister making major announcement in Sudbury:

The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Heritage Canada, Sudbury MP Paul Lefebvre and Nickel Belt MP Marc Serré, as well as Place des Arts will be hosting a conference for a major announcement on Friday, Oct. 13. The announcement will be made at the McEwen School of Architecture (85 Elm St.) at 11:30 a.m. Sudbury.com will bring you live coverage of tomorrow's announcement so be sure to tune in on Oct. 13 at 11:30 a.m.

There's a new millionaire somewhere in Sudbury: Winning lotto ticket sold in the Nickel City:

The winning ticket for the Lotto 6/49 guaranteed $1 million prize draw was sold in the Sudbury area. The draw took place on Wednesday, Oct. 11. Lotto 6/49 includes a guaranteed $1 million prize draw with each and every draw, offering players 104 more chances to become a millionaire each year.  “Somebody’s going to win the Guaranteed $1 Million Prize each and every draw, and this time the winning ticket was sold in the Sudbury area!” said Wendy Montgomery, OLG senior vice-president, Lottery and Gaming, in a press release. The next Lotto 6/49 draw is on Saturday, Oct. 14 for an estimated $20 million jackpot and the guaranteed $1 million prize draw. 

Sudbury couples scores lotto win for second time this year:

Jacques Joly of Sudbury is dreaming big after winning a $75,000 top prize with INSTANT CASH CARD. “My wife and I both bought each other lottery tickets for our 36th anniversary,” said Jacques, while at the OLG Prize Centre in Toronto to pick up his cheque. “We opened a bottle of wine and played our tickets. I couldn’t believe I won!” This is the second major win for the couple in the past year. In the spring, Jacques, a retiree, won $100,000 with INSTANT HIGH ROLLER. INSTANT CASH CARD is available for $3 a play and the top prize is $75,000. Odds of winning a prize are 1 in 3.52. The winning ticket was purchased at Mac’s on Lasalle Boulevard in Sudbury.

Missing: Police searching for missing teen:

The Greater Sudbury Police Service is requesting the public’s assistance in locating 16-year old, Annika Lapointe. Annika was last seen on the Wednesday, Oct. 4, 2017 around 3:40 p.m. in the downtown core of Greater Sudbury. There is a concern for her well-being as a result of the length of time she has not been seen. She is described as being 5-7, weighing approximately 140 lbs. with long auburn hair and green eyes. She was last seen wearing black leggings, a blue and green halter top and she has a nose piercing. Anyone with information is asked to contact Police at 675-9171 or Crime Stoppers at 222-TIPS, online at www.sudburycrimestoppers.com or by texting TIPSUD and the information to CRIMES (274637).

Mining proposal makes the supercluster cut:

The Canada Mining Innovation Council and the Centre for Excellence in Mining Innovation submission to the federal government’s Innovation Superclusters Initiative has survived the latest round of cuts.  This week, the federal government narrowed down to nine the candidates for $950 million in funding for supercluster sites, out of 50 proposals. The government hopes to create dense business areas with the initiative where large and small companies can collaborate with research institutes and organizations to commercialize ideas. More on this story can be found here

Are you Greater Sudbury's next poet laureate?

Local poets with a passion for advocacy of literacy and local heritage are invited to consider the role of Greater Sudbury’s fifth poet laureate. A complete description of the position and details for application are available online on the library's website or at any branch of the Greater Sudbury Public Library. Greater Sudbury’s Poet Laureate will serve as an active advocate for poetry, literacy and literature by initiating and participating in readings and other events throughout the community for a two-year term, commencing January 2018.  The Poet Laureate’s mandate also includes the creation of a legacy project that will be unique to the individual.

Friday weather:

Chances of some rain showers to close out the week. Cloudy today with a 40 per cent chance of rain. High will be 16. Partly cloudy this evening with a 60 per cent chance of showers and a low of 5. For current weather conditions, short-term and long-term forecasts visit Sudbury.com's weather page at www.sudbury.com/weather.



More Local News

Visit our homepage >


Comments