The OPP arrested a Brampton man accused of unsafe driving on Highway 17 after deploying a spike belt in Sudbury last week.
The Nipissing West OPP received a traffic complaint July 20 about a vehicle speeding and driving in an unsafe manner on Highway 17 in Baldwin Township (the McKerrow area).
OPP located the motor vehicle on Highway 17 near Lorne Falls Road in Greater Sudbury, but the driver failed to stop for police. A spike belt was deployed successfully and the vehicle was safely stopped. The driver was subsequently arrested.
The 28-year-old driver was charged with:
- Operation While Prohibited under the Criminal Code (two counts), contrary to section 320.18(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC)
- Possession Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000 - in Canada, contrary to section 354 (1)(a) of the CC
- Flight from Peace Officer, contrary to section 320.17 of the CC
- Dangerous Operation, contrary to section 320.13(1) of the CC
- Failure to Comply with Release Order - Other than to Attend Court, contrary to section 145(5)(a) of the CC
- Driving While Under Suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act
The accused was due to appear in bail court in Espanola last week.