A 51-year-old Wahnapitae man pulled over on Highway 17 in Sables-Spanish Rivers Township (the Massey area) Oct. 17 is facing a long list of charges, including impaired driving.
The Manitoulin OPP say they pulled the man over for a Highway Traffic Act violation at 10:29 p.m. Oct. 20.
Officers say they determined the driver had consumed alcohol, and continued their roadside investigation.
The driver was arrested and brought to the Espanola detachment for further testing. Police also located and seized suspected Methamphetamine and Cannabis with an estimated street value of $340.
The man has been charged with:
- Operation While Impaired - Alcohol and Drugs, contrary to section 320.14(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Operation While Impaired - Blood Alcohol Concentration (80 plus), contrary to section 320.14(1)(b) of the CC;
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance - Methamphetamine, contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA);
- Drive Vehicle or Boat With Cannabis Readily Available, contrary to section 12(1) of the Cannabis Control Act (CCA);
- Fail to Use Lower Beam - Oncoming, contrary to section 168(a) of the HTA;
- Fail to Have Insurance Card, contrary to section 3(1) of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act (CAIA);
- Driver - Fail to Properly Wear Seatbelt, contrary to section 106(2) of the HTA;
- Fail to Surrender Permit for Motor Vehicle, contrary to section 7(5)(a) of the HTA;
- Drive Motor Vehicle, No Currently Validated Permit, contrary to section 7(1)(a) of the HTA; and
- Driving While Under Suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the HTA.
The accused was released on several Provincial Summonses and also an Appearance Notice and is scheduled to appear in Espanola court Dec. 14.
He was issued a 90-day Administrative Driver's Licence Suspension (ADLS) and the vehicle was impounded for seven days.
This charge marks the 50th driver charged under the Criminal Impaired Driving Laws in the Manitoulin OPP Detachment area in 2020.