Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Yet, most of us are too rushed in the mornings to cook breakfast - or make what we really want. With these overnight simple breakfast ideas, you can have filling and tasty meals ready to go.
Overnight and Slow Cooker Oats
Overnight oats are usually made in mason jars and don’t require any cooking. They sit overnight in a liquid like water, almond, or coconut milk, and once the liquid is absorbed in the morning, it’s ready to eat! You can enjoy it chilled or warmed up in the microwave, and it can be stored for up to five days in the refrigerator - so go ahead and make a week’s worth.
- Check out these recipes from Spruce Eats to get some great oat ideas.
- Cookie and Kate also share their favourite recipes.
Another way to have oatmeal ready to go in the morning is with your slow cooker. With this option, you can wake up to delicious aromas calling you out of bed and help yourself to some steamy oatmeal. Perfect for chilly mornings.
- Life Made Sweeter provides a mix of overnight oat and slow cooker recipes.
- The Recipe Rebel offers additional tips, like using slow cooker bags and freezing oatmeal cups - or even incorporating fruits (and vegetables!) to add delicious flavour and vitamins! Additionally, they make suggestions on spices, sweeteners, and nuts, chia seeds, or yogurt.
Overnight French Toast is a brilliant idea because you can simply pop it in the oven first thing and have a delicious meal ready to go! Preparing it the evening before means less work and less clean up in the morning. Plus, all of the delicious flavours have plenty of time to soak into the bread. Here are a few fun recipes to try:
- This Blueberry French Toast Casserole uses almond milk, honey, and juicy blueberries to kick up the flavour.
- If you’re in the mood for fruit, but don’t want blueberries, try this Apple French Toast Bake.
- This Overnight French Toast has a secret ingredient - orange juice!
- For a bit of a chocolatey indulgence, try this Pillsbury Smores French Bread recipe.
Egg casseroles are another dish that can be prepared in the evening or on the weekend and then popped into the oven for a filling breakfast option. You can even freeze it in portioned pieces and pop them in the fridge overnight, so they’re thawed by morning! Here are some fun recipes to try:
- Sausage or turkey links and hearty potatoes make an easy addition to your eggs, like in this Healthy Breakfast Casserole.
- This Farmer’s Market casserole is loaded with onions, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, and your choice of cheese and protein.
- You can’t go wrong with smoked salmon, dijon mustard, and Gruyere cheese in this Elegant Smoked Salmon Strata!
- Want an all-vegetable option? Try the Overnight Spinach and Artichoke Casserole.
- For an even easier option, you can throw everything into your slow cooker like in this Overnight Crockpot Egg Casserole recipe.
Muffin pans provide an easy way to make individual-sized breakfast meals.
- Try these Baked Egg Cup ideas
- 19 Make-Ahead Breakfast Recipes You Can Make in a Muffin Pan
- Or these Vegetarian Breakfast Bowls.
Breakfast Burritos and Enchiladas
Breakfast burritos or enchiladas can be made at night in a casserole dish and heated up for a crowd in the morning. They can also be frozen individually and make for good meals on-the-go when you don’t have time to sit down to eat in the morning. Here are some recipes to try:
- Overnight Ham and Cheese Breakfast Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Burritos
- Overnight Green Chili Burritos
Enjoy making your morning routines a bit less hectic!
Looking to save time on dinners too? Check out these 10 simple meals anyone can prep ahead to save time and money.