Greater Sudbury Police have provided an update with regard to three individuals who were taken into police custody in the aftermath of the double homicide investigation at the Travelodge Hotel Dec. 20.
Police said that through their investigation, it has been determined that two of the individuals in police custody were not involved in this incident.
However, they have been charged with Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5,000 in relation to the Theft of a Motor Vehicle. Both individuals attended bail court Dec. 20 to answer to the charge.
The third individual, a 33-year-old man from Greater Sudbury, was originally arrested on scene on an outstanding Arrest Warrant for Fail to Comply with Probation Order. Upon searching the man, officers located two firearms.
He has been charged with the following offences under the Criminal Code of Canada;
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose (two counts)
- Careless Use of a Firearm (two counts)
- Breach of Firearms Regulation (two counts)
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon (two counts)
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm (two counts)
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm (two counts)
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm (two counts)
- Possession of a Firearm Contrary to Prohibition Order (six counts)
- Fail to Comply with Prohibition Order
He will be attending bail court today to answer to the charges. His name cannot be released at this time as the information has not yet been sworn to through the court process.
Officers remain on scene at the hotel as the investigation into the incident is ongoing.
Police say they believe there are additional individual(s) involved in this incident.
This is a targeted and isolated incident, said police.