Public Health Ontario has reported 1,478 new cases of COVID-19 today.
The province's public health agency confirmed 21 new deaths today, including one person between 40 and 59 years old, six people between 60 and 79 years old, and 14 people over the age of 80 years old. Fourteen of the people whose deaths were reported today were residents at long term care homes.
Since yesterday, 83 people have been hospitalized with COVID-19 and 23 COVID patients have been admitted to intensive care units.
Included in the 1,478 new cases reported today are 572 cases from Peel, 111 from York Region, and 356 from Toronto.
There are 88 new school-related cases included in today's update. Of those cases, 70 are students and 18 are staff. There are 679 schools in the province with one or more confirmed COVID-19 case, and four schools are closed because of COVID-19 cases.
The province noted 1,365 new recoveries today.
There are now 12,871 active, lab-confirmed cases in the province, which is up from 12,779 cases reported yesterday. There are 556 people hospitalized with the coronavirus (up from 523 yesterday) and 151 COVID patients are in intensive care units. There are 105 COVID patients on ventilators.
Since yesterday's report, provincial public health labs have processed 47,576 COVID-19 tests, which produced a 3.9 per cent positivity rate.
The province has confirmed 109,361 cases of COVID-19 since January and reported 92,915 recoveries and 3,575 deaths.
In Northern Ontario, all but two of the health unit regions are currently classified as green under the province’s new regional restrictions. It means the areas are permitted the broadest allowance of Stage 3 activities.
Public Health Sudbury and District and Thunder Bay District Health Unit are in the yellow (protect) restriction level.
The breakdown of Public Health Ontario data for the rate of cases for Northern Ontario health units is:
- Algoma Public Health: 60 cases, rate of 52.4 per 100,000 people. There are three known active cases. The last cases were reported Nov. 24.
- North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit: 71 cases, rate of 54.7 per 100,000 people. The health unit has reported 74 cases. There are 14 known active cases. The last cases were reported Nov. 25.
- Porcupine Health Unit: 106, rate of 127 per 100,000 people. There are three known active cases. The last case was reported Nov. 20.
- Public Health Sudbury and Districts: 225 cases, rate of 113.1 per 100,000 people. The health unit has reported 228 cases. There are 15 known active cases. The last case was reported Nov. 24.
- Timiskaming Health Unit: 18 cases, rate of 55.1 per 100,000 people. There is one known active case. The last case was reported Nov. 15.
- Northwestern Health Unit: 108 cases, rate of 123.2 per 100,000 people. The health unit has also reported two probable cases. There are 23 known active cases. The last case was reported Nov. 24.
- Thunder Bay District Health Unit: 252 cases, rate of 168 per 100,000 people.There are 67 known active cases. The last cases were reported Nov. 25.
The Ontario rate of infection is 735.7