A deadly week in Greater Sudbury continues. A 25-year-old man is facing a murder charge after an assault on Notre Dame Avenue early this morning left a man dead.
This is the third murder in the city this week after a double homicide at the Travelodge on Paris Street on Dec. 20.
“Just after 1:50 a.m. this morning, December 23, 2022, officers were dispatched to a residence on Notre Dame Avenue in relation to an assault that has just taken place,” Greater Sudbury Police reported this morning.
“Information provided was that two men had been in a physical altercation resulting in one of the men sustaining life-threatening injuries. The 20-year-old man was transported to the hospital by Greater Sudbury Paramedic Services, however, he was unfortunately pronounced deceased by medical professionals.”
Besides offering condolences, GSPS said the man’s identity will not be released out of respect for his family.
A post-mortem will be conducted through the Coroner’s Office in order to assist in determining the cause of death.
The 25-year-old man involved in the physical altercation has been charged with murder, though police haven’t said what degree of murder he’s been charged with. He will attend bail court today to answer to the charge.
His name cannot be released as the information has not yet been sworn to through the court process.
“This is an isolated incident as it is believed that the two individuals are known to each other. There is no risk to public safety,” police said.
The year 2022 is proving to be one of the deadliest years for murder in the city’s history with a total of nine murders.